Use Public Transportation

You don’t need a car to get around! Traveling by bus, train, or ferry can save you money and reduce stress, traffic congestion, and environmental impact. Learn about the different types of public transportation and get information on trip planning, schedules, and fares.  


The ORCA card is an easy way to pay your fare without having to carry cash. Use your ORCA card on Community Transit, Everett Transit, King County Metro, Kitsap Transit, Pierce Transit, Sound Transit, and Washington State Ferries, as well as on Monorail and Seattle Streetcar. You can load funds online or in person at ticket vending machines and the ORCA customer service office. 

Get a card 

List of passes and prices 

About ORCA 


County and city transit authorities operate different local bus systems. Find one that serves your area and get information on routes, schedules, and fares. 

Public Transportation Benefit Areas 

City transit departments 

County Transit Authorities 

Light Rail, Express Buses, and Commuter Trains

Sound Transit is an intercity transit system that operates the Link light rail, Sounder commuter trains, and ST Express buses. These modes of travel are great for commuters who want to avoid the hassle of traffic. 

How to ride 

Fares and how to pay 

Trip planner 

Find a schedule 

COVID-19 safety 


Hop on a train for a more scenic way to travel. Amtrak Cascades is the rail line serving the Pacific Northwest. Its tracks run parallel to the I-5 corridor from Vancouver, British Columbia, south to Eugene, Oregon. 

Train schedules 

Buy a ticket 

Check train status 


Due to our numerous waterways and islands, you can experience one of the most unique forms of public transportation. Learn more about ferry terminals and routes, schedules, tickets, and vehicle reservations. 

Did you know? Washington State Ferries is the largest public ferry system currently operating in the U.S. 

A guide for first time riders 

Ferry schedules 

Buy a ticket 

Make a vehicle reservation 

Low tide warnings for trucks, RVs, and cars towing a trailer 

Paratransit Services and Other Accommodations

Public transportation has options for riders with disabilities that make it difficult to use existing  fixed-route buses or trains. Paratransit services are usually door-to-door shared rides with flexibility in scheduling and routing. You need to apply with your local transit agency and be eligible before you can request rides. 

Apply to Your Local Transit Agency to Access Paratransit Rides

Each transit system has its own application process and specific eligibility criteria for paratransit. 

Learn more about paratransit regulations and eligibility 

Sound Transit 

Spokane Transit 

Whatcom Transit 

C-Tran (Clark County) 

Ben Franklin Transit 

All Washington State transit agencies 

Joint Paratransit Agreement

If you use paratransit in your county, it is possible that you are automatically eligible for service in another nearby county through a “joint agreement” between transit agencies. Learn about the counties that participate in these “joint agreements.” 

Metro Transit 

Pierce Transit 

Community Transit 

Everett Transit 

Intercity Transit 

Jefferson Transit 

Kitsap Transit 

Request a Reasonable Accommodation or Modification

If paratransit services are unable to meet your needs, you can make a request for a reasonable modification of a transit agency’s policies or procedures. 

Learn more about ADA reasonable accommodations policy 

Metro Transit 

Sound Transit 

Kitsap Transit 

Spokane Transit 

Community Transit 

Pierce Transit 

Whatcom Transit 

C-Tran (Clark County) 

Intercity Transit 

Ben Franklin Transit 

Washington State Department of Transportation  

All Washington State transit agencies 

Amtrak accessible travel requests 

File an ADA Complaint

If you believe you’ve been discriminated against by a public transit agency, you can file a complaint with the Federal Transit Administration (FTA). You are also encouraged to file a complaint with your local transit agency. 

File a complaint with the FTA 

File a complaint with WSDOT 

File a complaint with Metro Transit 

File a complaint with Sound Transit 

File a complaint with Kitsap Transit 

File a complaint with Spokane Transit 

File a complaint with Community Transit 

File a complaint with Pierce Transit 

File a complaint with Whatcom Transit 

File a complaint with C-Tran (Clark County) 

File a complaint with Intercity Transit 

File a complaint with Ben Franklin Transit 

All Washington State transit agencies 

Park and Rides

Don’t live within walking or biking distance of a bus or rail line?  You can drive to a park and ride to catch a bus or train. 

Find a park and ride in your county 

Statewide park and rides map 

Frequently asked questions